West Greene continues to offer Behind-the-Wheel (BTW) Driver Education instruction to its students. This year, the instruction is being offered after the regular school hours, including evenings, some weekends, and summer hours. Completion of both aspects of the program (theory and BTW) could allow the student and parents/guardians to receive a discount on the student driver’s auto insurance policy. This discount is not always offered by every insurance company. Parents/guardians will need to check with their company to see if one is offered.
The Driver Education program is designed to provide the students with the knowledge and skills that are needed and required by the State of Pennsylvania. The main objective of the course is to develop the skills that are necessary for a young driver to have in order to maintain safety on the highways of Pennsylvania and beyond.
There are two parts to the Driver Education program. First is the class or theory part of Driver Education. Students are required to complete the minimum of thirty (30) hours of classroom instruction. Driver Education Theory is currently offered to all 9th grade students here at WG. In theory the students will learn a variety of highway safety laws, defensive driving skills, and legislation changes in the commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The second part is the behind-the-wheel training, where students are required to drive the minimum of six (6) hours. During the BTW (behind-the-wheel) students will gain the hands on experience of operating a motor vehicle. This six (6) hours will count toward the 65 supervised driving hours a permitted driver must attain before becoming eligible to take the licensing test.
Students interested in receiving the behind-the-wheel instruction may sign up with Mr. Rychtarsky to get scheduled to complete the program. Students will take the course with another student as a partner, and both students will be scheduled for Twelve (12) hours of instruction time. Six (6) hours as a driver, and six (6) hours as a passenger, with each student driving a maximum of one (1) hour each day.
Interested students must have:
· A current class ‘C’ driver’s permit, or class ‘C’ license.
· Completed the 30+ hour Driver Education theory course offered at West Greene.
· A partner, of the opposite gender, to sign up to take the course with. Students unable to find a partner can still sign up, and can be paired with other students who need partners as well. A partnership must be formed before participation can take place.
· The ability to commit to scheduled times after hours, on weekends, and/or over the summer.
· A signed permission slip (available from Mr. Rychtarsky) indicating parental/guardian permission has been granted for your child to participate in the BTW instruction.
For more information, please contact Mr. Rychtarsky.
firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-499-5191 Ext. 2272